Of course the best way to practice Fire Safety is to prevent fires
from occurring in the first place.
Start by keeping these tips in mind:
-Check that all electrical appliances, cords and outlets are in good working condition.
-Are your electrical appliances in good condition, without loose or frayed cords or plugs?
-Are your outlets overloaded with plugs from the TV, computer, printer, video game system, and stereo?
-Are you overusing an extension cord?
-Do the light fixtures in your home contain bulbs that are the correct wattage?
-Does your home contain GFCIs (ground-fault circuit interrupters) and/or AFCIs (arc-fault circuit interrupters), that prevent electrical shock and fire by shutting off faulty circuits?
Look around your house for potential problems.
Unless you’re a trained electrician, be careful about do-it-yourself electrical projects. Studies have shown that many home fires are caused by improper installation of electrical devices.
-Replace or professionally repair any appliances that spark, smell unusual, or overheat.
-Don’t run electrical wires under rugs.
-Make sure lamps and night-lights are not touching bedspreads, drapes, or other fabrics.
-Use caution when using electric blankets.
-Don’t let kids use kitchen appliances by themselves and supervise any art or science projects that involve electrical devices.
-Cover any outlets that are not in use with plastic safety covers if you have toddlers or young children in your home.
Be especially vigilant about portable heaters.
The number of residential fires greatly increases during colder months, peaking between December and February. Portable space heaters substantially contribute to this increase.
Before plugging in your space heater, make sure you know how to use it safely:
-Carefully read the directions for its use.
-Never place a space heater where a child or pet could accidentally knock it over.
-Never place a space heater too close to a bed, especially a child’s bed.
-Keep newspapers, magazines, and fabrics from curtains, clothes, or bedding away from space heaters, radiators, and fireplaces.
-Heaters should be at least 3 feet from anything flammable.
Make sure you clean our dryer lint filter after every load and clean out the dryer vent hose at least once a year. Dryer lint is very flammable and many homes have burned due to dryer lint fires.